Thursday, September 26, 2013

Question of the Day: Weight Loss Cleanses

So the question I received today from a friend is "Do you know of any good weight loss cleanses? I'm allergic to fish & eggs".

Let me remind you all I'm not a registered anything - nurse, dietitian, etc. But I do get questions alot in regards to healthy eating and family feeding. I don't claim to be an expert, but am happy to give my opinion...so here is goes.

Although I don't think cleanses are the answer to long term weight loss, they certainly can be used to detoxify the body whether its from alcohol, sugar, too much meat, etc. And if you Google health cleanses you'll come up with 100 different sites that will "help you get that body you want"...yeah right!?

I would start off by asking yourself if you drink soda and if the answer is "yes" that should be the first thing you work on cutting out. Its not an easy feat, but once its done...its done. Not only is the soda itself bad for you, but it also leads you down a path of destruction with everything you start craving beyond it - like chocolate and sweets. Increase your water intake - and if you have trouble downing plain water all day, add a lemon, lime, or even cucumber. Just this one change will make such a difference in your lifestyle. With the addition of light to moderate exercise you'll be on your way to a healthier heart in no time!


I also don't "juice", but can see where the benefits come quickly. I owned a very expensive juicer for one day and returned it immediately after I could barely inhale the awful looking drink that laid in front of me. At that very moment I vowed to eat as many colorful vegetables as I could per day to never have to do that again :) I do have friends who love juicing though - remember, this is just my opinion. If you are interested in a cleanse, I can however, recommend Harley Pasternak's book The Body Reset Diet. It is an easy read and perfect intro to healthy food, smoothie recipes and an overall healthier lifestyle. It truly can help you organize your meals and get you started down the road of a healthy lifestyle change.

I also must note that many cleanses have a disclaimer not to do this for over 3 days. As nutrient dense as a glass of juiced vegetables can be, your body needs real food. The act of chewing helps start the breakdown and metabolize food before it hits your intestines to then be distributed as nutrients (and released as waste) through your body.

I digress...when it comes to wanting to loose weight and feel better about yourself my best advice is choosing healthier options of your favorite foods and stocking up on more fruits and vegetables. Having certain items on hand throughout the day will help you avoid grabbing a quick bite on the go or eating that sugary granola bar (which you may think is a healthy option). Don't deprive yourself of the things you love, just don't overindulge in them. I also LOVE beans and I feed them weekly to my family. I substitute beans - black, kidney, garbanzo, navy - for meat in Mexican dishes and add them in with brown rice as a side dish to chicken or fish. Now being allergic to fish, you could substitute pork chops or even sliced avocado. But if you add more beans into your diet than that will give you that good fiber to aid in the overall digestion of your food as well as keeping you fuller, longer.

As for mid day snacks - think fruits, veggies, and/or nuts. Apples & peanut butter, sliced pears w/ a drizzle of honey, oranges, dark cherries. I buy Almonds in bulk and add a few dark chocolate chips to them almost everyday to get that salty/sweet fix I need.

Another tip I have is to make a giant salad on Sunday and fill it with your favorite veggies so that way its always in the fridge - and there are no excuses. Eat it for lunch and/or dinner daily and top it with grilled chicken, garbanzo beans, sliced avocado, tomatoes, onions, etc. Keep things simple for yourself and make things in bulk ahead of time. If you start off by eating the same lunch everyday because its easy...then do it! You'll get the hang of what you like and your body will adjust to eating less/healthier in no time. And that soda habit...gone!

Make a plan. Go shopping for the essentials. Organize your meals. Prep ahead of time. You're ready to go! Hope this helps!

1 comment: