Thursday, February 21, 2013

Smoothies: Your New Grab n Go!

Speaking of the most important meal of the day...Have you ever been stuck in a rut when it comes to pulling together a quick breakfast for your kids - whether at home or on the go. My answer to that is a smoothie! They can be the perfect way to start your little one's day, assuming you put all the right things in it :) What are some of your favorite fruits, veggies, additions, etc. I've been making smoothies for what seems like forever - they just used to be called protein shakes for my husband and I. When we realized we'd rather be eating our protein than drinking it, smoothies became more about added vitamins and nutrients and less about weight-loss. I make these for my kids almost everyday for either breakfast or snack.

If my three year old had her way she would eat pretzels and little gold fishes all day long, literally. The other day she actually asked me for pretzels for breakfast. I immediately said "no" and redirected her to a better option which she ended up choosing herself - a smoothie! She LOVES smoothies and even helps me gather the ingredients in our kitchen. I use a regular old blender and measure out the ingredients to let her throw in. Smoothies allow me to feel like my children are beginning their day by getting a TON of nutrition in a small meal.  You can make hundreds of different variations, but my family's guidelines to a delicious smoothie include:

Frozen Fruit - Use instead of ice for added vitamins and flavor.
Fresh Fruit - Loaded with Vitamins, Minerals, & Antioxidants.
Old Fashioned Oats - Low in Fat, High in Fiber, High in Protein.
Ground Flax Seed- Contains Essential Fatty Acids - Omega 3 & Omega 6.
Goji Powder - Noted as of of the worlds most nutrient rich foods!
Almond Milk - Low in Fat & Calories. High in Calcium. (or simply a splash of water will do)
Kids Greek Yogurt - High in Protein & Makes Rich & Creamy. (or adult size if you're making for the fam!)

(excuse my photography skills)

This may seem like alot, but it only takes a little of each ingredient to make a yummy, nutritious & quick breakfast! Plus they get to drink out of a straw which is "super cool". You make a big batch and split it between all of you - and there you have it! Maybe your husband will even take a liking to it..mine will eat anything made for him :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment