Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My Family's Pantry Essentials

A well stocked pantry can make all the difference in the world when trying to figure out your next meal. By keeping certain items on hand, you'll be able to select ingredients for the next meal in a pinch. Having those staples will enable you to either gather a meal in minutes or to only run to the local grocery for those fresh items needed for dinner that evening.

What I have come to learn, especially after having kids, is having a well stocked (and nutritious) pantry helps me to prepare dinner without having to worry about serving up a healthy meal. In winter months I find I have more time to deliberate what I'm going to make - with slow cooker meals and hearty meat dishes in the oven. But come Spring and Summer my kids and I live outdoors and the last thing I want is to rush in early from playing to prep for dinner.

Here is a recent photo of my pantry with the items I feel are essential to my family's needs.


Kashi Go Lean Cereal - a quick breakfast option or snack
Quaker Oatmeal Packs - great for toddlers as an afternoon snack
Old Fashioned Oats - add to smoothies for extra fiber
Whole Grain Rice - a side dish (or slow cooker addition) in less than 20 min
Pasta - add some veggies and parmesan cheese and your done
Tuna fish - my favorite pantry lunch item
Taco Seasoning- a mexican dish in a flash
Annie's Shells & White Cheddar - our family's version of mac & cheese
Black, Kidney & Navy Beans - add to anything instead of meat or as a simple side dish with rice
Almond Butter - our main version of peanut butter
Marinades - quick addition to chicken and throw in the oven
Balsamic & Red Wine Vinegar - salad dressing in minutes
Olive Oil - stove top pan prep or salad dressing addition
Diced Tomatoes - chili's, stews, jambalaya - a crockpot staple
Crushed Tomatoes - make your own pasta sauce in seconds!
Tomato Sauce - add flavor to tacos, chili, spaghetti sauce, etc.
Chicken Stock (Low Sodium) - your soup base and crockpot staple

With any of these ingredients you can prepare just about anything at the last minute. Keeping your pantry organized also helps you restock, as needed. Lets face it, with kids its all about keeping things simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment