Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Q & A with Holli Thompson: Discover Your Nutritional Style

Hi There!!

So I recently had the pleasure to interview someone I admire greatly. Her name is Holli Thompson and her guidelines and teachings for a Healthy Lifestyle are ones that anyone can follow or adapt to. They'e simple, easy, and delicious. Below are some of the questions that I had for her that might help all you other mamas out there too! A little food for thought...

Kristen: I can honestly say I could not put this book down - it is so well written and the photographs are insanely beautiful. What can people expect from Discover Your Nutritional Style?

Holli: It’s been called an informative guide, a bedside reference, and also funny. I like the funny part! I believe that this way of eating is a life changer, for many people. There’s a difference between doing something like eating for your Nutritional Style some of the time, and doing it consistently. That’s the big take-a-way. I also advocate for joy, and fun, and some leeway. Stress surrounding our food isn’t healthy either! 

Kristen: I firmly believe that everything and everyone comes into your life for a reason and hopefully teaches us something along the way. What’s the most important lesson you want people to take away from your new book?

Holli: That you need to take care of you. Begin there, and the rest will follow. You’re an individual, and what works for your skinny bff may not be what works best for you. Explore your own path, discover what’s unique about your body, then make it a lifestyle. That’s the key. 

Kristen: On the other hand, what’s the biggest lesson you’ve learned through writing this book?

Holli: Writing DYNS allowed me to dive deeply into what I was seeing and hearing in my own practice. It forced me to hone down to what women were really saying and doing with their health; what worked and what did not. It also allowed me to address modern society’s influence on us, and how so many women are pressured to try what’s trendy, without really knowing their own body chemistry. So a huge piece of this is freedom and empowerment; I hope to empower women to forge ahead with knowledge to create their personal Nutritional Style. 

Kristen: I have three young children (ages 2 through 7). How would you guide moms, like me, to easily implement good nutrition into our children’s daily lives?

Holli: I would begin with seeking out organic foods, at all costs. Pesticides, growth hormones and antibiotics used in livestock feed, are all harmful to growing children’s bodies. Emphasize fruits and vegetables, in their whole form. The rule is our house is, fresh produce at every meal. Breakfast might mean fruit in my son’s protein smoothie, or sautéed spinach or fresh salsa with his eggs. Besides that, if your child has chronic infections, or sinus/allergy issues, you might want to look at food intolerances. My book explains how to approach that topic. 

Kristen: You mention in your book how “life is busy, we’re all busy”. What would you tell those who are scared to take that leap of faith - whether it be in life or with their health because they feel there is no time?

Holli: Forming a new habit takes time, but once it’s part of your lifestyle, it becomes routine. Hold onto that. In the same way that I make time to wash my hair, or go to barre class, I make time to pick up organic produce, or learn a few easy meals that will suffice a houseful of boys before I would order pizza. Try to make one change at a time, and be diligent about it. Then move on to your next. 

Kristen: I’ve always believed nutrition is your best medicine. Can you explain why it’s so important that people listen to their own bodies and not just doctor’s orders?

Holli: Depending on what type of doctor you are using, they may or may not know to ask about your food. During years of suffering from inflammatory issues my doctor did not ask me what I was eating. Your food affects everything, and knowing and really getting that is the first step. I’ve seen small changes in food choices create huge improvements in health. 

Kristen: I see big things happening for you - you are smart, kind, funny, but most of all relatable. I can see myself through your words and you make health & nutrition seem so accessible. What are your aspirations for this book?

Holli: I want to sell millions of copies, and reach as many people as possible. I believe the book is relatable, and attainable. My message is simple at its’ core, but requires dedication to change, in small, do-able steps. I want my book to influence and help heal. I want to alter mother’s choices, so that kids will grow up with better habits and greater knowledge. I want to give women executives and entrepreneurs more energy and balance, so that they can live happier lives. 

Recent events have taught me; life is short, live it feeling as good as you possibly can. (see more)

Kristen: Who has been your biggest influence in the world of Health & Nutrition? 

Holli: While I am a fan of many health influencers, I have been influenced most by my own learning. That’s the message here, learn the basics, what to avoid, (those bad boys that I outline in my book) and discover what works for you, personally, in an honest way. Influence yourself, and take care of yourself. 

Nobody else knows you, like you!


3 comments: