Friday, August 22, 2014

Letters to My Daughters: Strong is the New Skinny

I'd love to remove the word skinny from a female's vocabulary. Unfortunately, its become an obsession for many and not a healthy way of seeing yourself. I firmly believe in living through example...I love to exercise, eat healthy, grocery shop and cook. But I also love to sip wine, bake, and snuggle in bed on lazy Sunday mornings. I want to be strong (mentally & physically) and healthy, not skinny and hungry. These simple notes are what I want my girls (and boy) to look at when they see me. A mom who cares not only about her kids and family, but herself too. It took me a good 4 years into mommyhood to join a gym b/c I felt guilty. I didn't want to leave my child with someone else, that was my job (or so I thought). I went for many walks and would get up very early the the a.m. to go running with my oldest daughter in tow...but 4 good years for me to accept the fact that is was ok for me to put myself somewhere near the top of the totem poll of importance. Once I did, I felt a sense of empowerment - not being at home all day in yoga pants and spit up on my shoulder. It allowed me to have a purpose to leave the house each day (Lets be honest, staying at home full time sometimes makes you feel like a prisoner in your own home) and feel like I was accomplishing a goal I set out of myself. I craved the strength in my mind & body to make sure I was allowing myself the time to be a better mother, wife and friend.


After having my third baby and realizing my alone time was becoming more precious, I signed up for a 1/2 marathon last Spring - a goal I always wanted to accomplish and knew if I set my mind to it I could do it (I signed up for my 2nd this Fall). It took some time away from my kids, but important time they were then able to spend with dad and see their mom working hard towards something that meant so much. They cheered me on and even wanted to wear my medal I received. It was a good time for me to choose to accomplish a goal and now I'm able to take a bit of a break while life leads me. I still run almost everyday, but I know more now its for my mind than my body.

I want my girls to strive to be strong and healthy. Play sports for fun, get outside and explore the neighborhood. Ride bikes, play tag, swim, hide & seek, you name it. All of these things give you strength, confidence, healthy laughter and most important time with your loved ones. That is what matters in the end. I have a quote which I love that says "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away". A good reminder as parents to sit back sometimes and just take it all in. Watch them play and see how they live. Its in those moments that we allow ourselves to be in the present - and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment