Monday, March 24, 2014

Road to a Half Marathon: We Did It!

So I mentioned a brief hiatus from my blog after the holiday craze and 1/2 marathon training - who knew it would take up so much of my time. Waking up early, staying up late, long runs on the weekends. Its not an easy road, but its certainly doable with focus and perseverance (and a fabulous husband who knew how important this was to me) . If you look back on last year around this time I was training for my first 10k and very candid that although I've been a runner for years, I never ventured over 4 or so miles. That was within my comfort zone. I never had to hold myself accountable for anything longer than that. It was merely a form of exercise I enjoyed and did it to clear my head. This 1/2 marathon process has opened up my eyes to what my body (and mind) is capable of. I have to say that now completing it, I'm very proud!


Per your request, below is the chart I followed for my training purposes. Because I had already been running 4-5 miles every other day on most weeks, I skipped more of the shorter runs focusing on consistency of increasing my heart rate and long Saturday runs. In hindsight I could not have completed the 1/2 marathon without sticking to a plan and running my designated long Saturday run mileage. I was very lucky to corral friends to run with me which never made for a dull run. Friends keep you motivated and accountable during those tougher days when you'd rather pull the covers over you in bed. Another motivator I used was Map My Run. There are many other running pals out there to help track your progress, but I happened to pick this one from the beginning of my training and vowed to stick with it. It helps track your total mileage and your pace (which is important when running longer mileage). You never want to burn yourself out too quickly. Starting slower can help balance out your run so you can sustain a comfortable pace.


My Personal Training Tips
  1. Get a Plan - I just happened to Google a training plan for a 1/2 Marathon and modified it (chart above) to what I enjoy. I like being active everyday so those "rest" days in the first few weeks were more of weights or light walking for me.
  2. Grab a friend - I truly enjoy the time I get to work out alone, but having someone to run alongside on race day was something I didn't think twice about (especially on the longer runs). It helps you stick to your goal!
  3. Proper Attire is Key - Not only is it important to choose comfortable workout attire, but also to make sure its weather appropriate. Good running shoes are essential - and they don't have to be expensive. Just make sure you have trained in the shoes you'll be running in..or you feet might regret it.
  4. Stay Hydrated - Not one tip is more important than this one, in my opinion. Staying hydrated will keep you from getting fatigued and keep cramps at bay during the race and will also keep your focus off unexpected hunger. Proper hydration is so key!
  5. Stay Healthy- This should be a no-brainer and hopefully by deciding to start training for any type of race you've already jumped on the health bandwagon - good for you! I highly recommend daily vitamins & supplements to boost your immune system and recharge your overall health.
  6. Have Fun - Simply put, enjoy yourself. This shouldn't be grueling. Make small goals for yourself  and what you know you can handle. The reward will come on race day when you cross that finish line - I promise!
It is amazing to me how far I've come in just one short year. It was only a short time ago I was training for a 10k, now I've completed a Half. I'm so proud. I hope you get inspired as I did to challenge yourself and take the time to conquer a goal (even its a small one). This was something that was important for me to complete - and I'm so glad I did. Onto the next adventure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment