Thursday, May 9, 2013

It Takes a Village

...I've always hated that saying.

I'm not really sure why I've hated it, but probably because it was just cliche and I never put meaning to it. Unfortunately, I'm coming to realize its so true! As you have one kid, after the other, you get to a point where life gets in the way - school, sports, illnesses, doctors appointments, family obligations, birthday parties - and multiply that per child and you already have a busy day. I never felt like I asked for much help...that is, until I had baby #3. Although planned, my baby boy through me for a loop. It probably wasn't planned all that well because we now had 3 kids under 4 years old which meant not one of them was in school full time. Hmmmm...thats alot of quality time with each other - remember, I'm a stay at home mom.


 Anyway, back to my point - the Village it takes to raise children. Once baby #3 was born we had just moved into a new (and spectacular) new neighborhood. So with the addition of new neighbors, I also have met some of my favorite friends a girl could ask for. To be able to have other moms right around each corner, just like me, is priceless. They too, have young children, working husbands, and daily trials and tribulations. We are able to rely on each other at a moments notice. Whether its providing dinners when babies are born, or making homemade soup or Popsicles when one of our kids are sick, these moms are the key to raising my family too - they keep me sane!

Another part of my village is my house cleaner. I fought having a routine cleaner for years. I always thought to myself, "I'm a stay at home mom, how can I not clean my own home?" Well, I can't anymore. Owning up to the fact that you need help isn't a bad thing, its being honest with yourself.

One last, and yet important, part of my personal village is a good babysitter. When we decided I would stay at home we had to adjust our budget having only one income. With that adjustment comes sacrifices and financially its hard to justify cleaners and nannies, but with multiple children it almost becomes a necessity. The demands of nap schedules and school routines leaves little time for running simple errands and even making dinner. It wasn't much, but I decided to get a babysitter every other week for a few hours which is enough time for me to run to the grocery store, pick up last minute birthday gifts, go to the dentist, maybe even get my haircut. Believe me, I have taken my kids to plenty of my dentist and doctors appointments over the years - but I felt it there came a time when it wasn't fair to them to drag them around all the time. The sitter provides me with the flexibility of time and the kids ample time to play and get the attention I believe they deserve. Side Note: A good babysitter will also contact you and let you know when they are available. This, to me, is such a bonus when I get an unexpected night out with my husband!

So there you have it - that's my Village! I'm so very grateful to my wonderful husband, friends, and family who do everything they can to help me raise my family. I hope they would all feel like I would do the same for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment