Monday, March 4, 2013

Mommy Lifesaver #1: My Meal Calendar

I have to laugh because I never thought my "simple" meal calendar would cause such a craze. I get asked alot about how I stay so organized when it comes to planning family meals. Truth is, organization and planning ahead help me with my week. I've always planned ahead when it comes to meals because although I believe its important to use what you already have on hand, I'm notorious for missing that one ingredient essential to the meal.

Anyway, a few years back I purchased this white board calendar from Pottery Barn to schedule my family's activities and meals. It helps me visualize our nutrition and it keeps me liable for what I put on the dinner table. I believe in variety for children so they can learn to try new things and get their palette's building new flavors. I'm also realistic that most little ones just want macaroni & cheese (we have that too!). Its not always about them though. We, as the adult, have to make the decision for them as to what we feel is good for them and you also must take into account what else they've eaten throughout the day. If the plan is to have pasta or homemade pizza for dinner I try to make lunch that day a bit lighter. Or I'll make sure that morning they have a smoothie so they've already gotten their power packed nutrient meal for the day. Its really not as complicated as it sounds...I promise. It kind of flows now for me because we've been doing it for so long.

There is no set plan to how I pull my meal calendar together each month. I think of the season, whats available at the market, or just what I'm in the mood for that week. I know what days we have sports activities going on in the evening or what nights my husband has meetings set so I know lighter or easier meals are planned for those nights.

I want to also note I don't always plan the sides exactly, I just happen to know what I stock my pantry with and what my fmaily likes paired with each meal. I try to throw in seasonal veggies in here and there and always serve cut up fresh fruit in the kitchen while I'm prepping dinner - if they're so starving, they can eat that while they wait!

Here is a sneak peak of our March calendar:


At the beginning of each month I sit down and plan my meals. It only takes me about 20 min. I first note what meats and veggies I might already have on hand or in my freezer. The first week is always determined by that. All my meals are shown in green. Forgive me that its so hard to read, I promise I'll learn how to take proper photos one day!

Please note everything is organic and homemade as possible. We try to incorporate any leftovers in next days lunch or dinner - a simple way is to throw any leftover meat onto a delicious seasonal salad!

Week 1
S-Chicken Tacos with black beans, guacamole and brown rice
M-Chicken Salads with black beans and rice
T-Salmon and Wild Rice with spinach salad
W-Greek Take out (we happen to be picking up food for an ill family member so I decided to treat my family with they're favorite take out too- Greek!
Th-Spaghetti and Salad
F-Hamburgers and Sweet Potato Fries with Fruit
S-Leftovers

Week 2
S-Grilled Steak & Veggies with Rice or Quinoa
M-Steak Salad w/ balsalmic vinegarette
T-Salmon and rice with salad
W-Leftovers (which will probably consist of Salmon, frozen veggies and organic macaroni & cheese)
Th-Tacos/Quesadillas with black beans, guacamole and brown rice
F-Pulled pork sliders and sweet potato fries with fruit
S-Pizza (We have a birthday party that evening)

Week 3
S-Grilled hamburgers & hot dogs with salad and fruit.
M-Marinated chicken with macaroni & cheese and salad
T- Salmon and rice with salad
W-Spaghetti and salad
Th-Leftovers (which will probably be salmon and salad or fish sticks for the kids)
F-Homemade pizza
S-TBD Dinner out (We don't eat out much at all, but we like to treat the kids every once in a while)

Week 4
S-Chicken & Grilled Veggies
M-Veggie Subs with potato fries
T-Salmon & rice with salad
W-Leftovers
Th-Tacos/Quesadillas with black beans, guacamole and brown rice
F-Hamburgers and baked potatoes with fruit
S-Homemade pizza

...and thats it! Again, because I have been doing this for so long I know what my kids like (or what I want them to eat). There is also a method to my madness  It typically flows like this - We like to grill on Sundays, chicken on Mondays, Salmon on Tuesdays, Leftovers on Wednesdays, Mexican on Thursdays and homemade Pizza on Fridays. But as you can see I do switch it up a bit for variety or based on certain activities we have that week. I really urge you to try it!

For the sake of sounding completely anal, I do intend to implement a weekly breakfast calendar soon too! My kids are starting to become picky in the mornings (and not wanting the same things as each other) so I think a calendar will solve this problem and save us some valuable time. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment