Tuesday, March 12, 2013

GOTR: Pre & Post Run Snacks

Happy Tuesday!

When it comes to snacks its important to note you don't want to completely fill up on any food or drink before a run. Its actually better just to get a few bites in for quick fuel and energy and to not run on a full stomach. I believe its almost more important what you eat after your run in order to restore your energy and rebuild your muscle.

You also want to be hydrated, but that doesn't mean guzzling a glass of water immediately before your run. It really means to hydrate your body hours/days before so everything inside is running (no pun intended) properly. You need your system working well so you can run well - make sense? Steer clear of the sugary drinks which will weigh you down, stick to simple water (w/added lemon if you choose) or coconut water. I usually do a mixture of both. Coconut water still tastes so sweet to me, but I know how hydrating it is so I'll have about 4 oz each morning with my water. When you start realizing how good certain things are for you, you begin implementing them in your routine more easily. I promise.

For a pre-run snack, you will want to have one roughly 30 min prior. Keep it to a very simple meal to get you going. Don't think too much about it. The items I recommend below are staples in my house so I always know I have one or the other on hand to grab on the go. Some suggestions I have include:
  • Larabars - I can't say enough great things about these bars. They're a perfect snack throughout the day - for kids and adults. They have anywhere from one to 9 ingredients based on the flavor. Eating half is good enough for a pre-run and the other half with a banana is great for when you're done!
  • Mini Clif Bars or 1/2 a Full Size Bar - Simple ingredients with added nutrients lost during exercise.
  • Small Banana - Easiest snack suggestion of all and provides potassium which is great for balancing fluid and electrolytes in the body. Perfect for a runner!
  • Slice of Whole Wheat Toast with Almond Butter - Almonds are easier to digest than peanuts so I always go for this snack, but peanut butter works just as well! Quick and easy.
As for a post-run snack, you will want to have one within 30 min after. Carbohydrates and dairy are great additions for the added calcium and protein. Some suggestions I have include:
  • Chocolate Milk - This is recommended by many sports enthusiasts as a perfect post-workout combination. It contains carbohydrates and proteins essential during workouts and has the benefit of added calcium.
  • Greek Yogurt w/ 2 Tbsp Granola - Chobani is my go-to. Its absolutely delicious and completely filling after a good run. The granola adds texture and carbohydrates, as well as added vitamins and minerals lost during exercise.
  • Energy Bites - They are sweet (and addicting) so I would limit to two. See Related Post.
  • Fruit Smoothie - Made with greek yogurt and raw oats. Perfection!



Girls On The Run Newsletter Week 2 http://www.girlsontherun.org/
My Personal Blog: Choices: Nutrition.Life.Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment