Tuesday, March 26, 2013

What Exactly is a Fever?

I wanted to pass along this very important information I learned about Fevers. A very dear friend received this information from her doctor and passed it along to us. Fevers can be very scary in an infant or young child, but they don't have to be. Take a look at the notes below and keep them handy in case you ever need to reference them. 

As always, I would always encourage you to trust your instincts when it comes to your own child. I strongly believe in the power of mother's (or father's) intuition and you know your child best. #8 is the MOST important of all - how your child looks and acts is what is going to tell you something might be wrong. Don't ever hesitate to contact your doctor when it comes to your child...I never do :)


Important Fever Information:
1. Fevers turn on the body's immune system. Most are good for children and help the body fight infection:
  • 100-102 low grade fever. Beneficial. Try to keep fever in this range
  • 102-104 moderate grade fever. Still beneficial. 
  • Over 104 high fever - causes discomfort but is harmless
  • Over 105 - higher risk of bacterial infection (my doc said that the body doesn't typically let you get this hot on its own and would only happen if  child is in an 85 degree car with windows closed and sun shining in!)
2. Fevers with infections don't cause brain damage - only fevers over 108 can (child in car scenario).
3. Fevers only need to be treated if they cause discomfort for your child.
4. Without treatment, fevers do not keep getting higher. They typically top out at 105 or 106.
5. With medication, fevers are not expected to come back to normal - they should drop 2-3 degrees.
6. Fevers that don't respond to medicine can be caused by viruses or bacteria. Whether the medicine works or not doesn't relate to the seriousness of the infection.
7. The temperature does not directly relate to the seriousness of the illness. Higher temps don't necessarily mean more serious infection.
8. How your child looks and acts is what's important, not the exact temperature.

"On that last one, my doc said that at Hopkins they do not give kids medication for fevers at all - they just let them ride it out. Medication is only to help your child feel more comfortable!" - Maureen W.

I hope you find this information helpful and remember that I am not a health professional. I'm only passing along information that has helped me as a mom and I hope it can help you too. As much as I love my family's pediatrician, I have never hesitated to call our local minute clinic. Righttime Pediatrics has been a saving grace for us over the years. Although I can count the visits on one hand, they have always been extremely kind and professional, as well as solved whatever medical issue we might have had.

For more on a Rightime Pediatrics near you, check out: http://www.myrighttime.com/home
For CVS Minute Clinic Locations near you, check out: http://www.minuteclinic.com/locations/
For Rite Aid NowClinic Locations near you, check out: http://www.mynowclinic.com/riteaid/locations/

2 comments:

  1. Good information. There are many misconceptions about fever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shockingly, this information wasn't even provided to me by my own doctor at the time. It wasn't brought to my attention until baby #2 - I hope its able to help all of those mommies (and daddies) out there!

      Delete