Saturday, March 9, 2013

My Favorite Snacks for Kids

Who doesn't love snacks? If you're a mom, like me, you probably have snacks coming out of your ears. All day, every day, my kids want snacks. We have them stocked in our pantry and have them always packed to go. Prepackaged snacks seem to be an essential for every mom and their starving child. When we are at home, I try and provide the best kind of snack - fruit or veggies. I try and keep the bars, pretzels, chips and crackers for our outings to the park when we're sharing with friends. The one thing I realized when trying to change my family's eating habits was its not for everyone. I couldn't go strictly organic and whole food and expect everyone to jump on board. Especially when you have a 4 year old play-date and you're serving cantaloupe and granola. Its not the end of the world to serve Goldfish and your favorite cookies at your Friday playgroup (maybe you even made them with your kids). Give the poor children what they really want- it is a play-date after all :)

I digress....back to our favorite snacks. When your kids are begging for that afternoon snack and they're lurking around your kitchen - try offering one of the following:
  • Cut up fruit & cheese-stick - Fruit is still sugar, but its the good kind :)
  • Cut up veggies & hummus - We go through so much hummus around here, but any simple dip will do.
  • Popcorn - 100 calorie packs are the best! Each kid gets their own bag and they're happy!
  • Energy Bites - a recipe I adapted from Pinterest. See below.
  • LaraBars - such a great snack choice for kids of ALL ages. I always have these on hand.
  • Trade Joes Cereal Bars or Kashi Cereal Bars - my little man loves these and they're easy on the go.

Almond Butter Energy Bites (adapted from Smashed Peas & Carrots website)
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup almond butter (1 ingredient. Almonds.)
1/3 cup honey
1 cup coconut flakes (unsweetened)
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup organic raisons
1/4 cup Cacao Nibs
1 tsp vanilla

Mix everything above in a bowl until thoroughly incorporated.  Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 min.  Once chilled, roll into small, bite-size balls and enjoy!  Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week...although they don't usually last that long in our house.

I tend to feel its that sleepy time in the afternoon kids are asking for snacks and not necessarily because they're really hungry. My kids eat a ton of fruit so offering them popcorn or a couple Energy Bites isn't out of the ordinary for me. Popcorn is also a fan favorite with my kids' friends when I don't have all of the fun junk food snacks to offer.

Enjoy a snack with your child today!

No comments:

Post a Comment