Thursday, March 21, 2013

Natural Detox - Warm Lemon Water

I have been a coffee lover for many years now and I actually don't intend to give it up completely...at least not anytime soon. I really do enjoy the taste and the "uplift" I get from it to start my day. It does make me a happier mommy on some days :) Many people (including myself) would say its completely unnatural to use coffee as a mood booster, but when you have little kids - you'll understand. Right now, its either coffee or alcohol and I think coffee might be the safer bet!

My overall diet is pretty healthy. I really do enjoy eating healthy foods, I eat alot of fruits and veggies. I don't eat alot of processed foods, mainly organic, and so on. However, I do drink a cup (or two) of coffee each morning and will admit that I believe coffee is making me "fat". Don't strike me down yet for say the "F" word. I actually hate using that word, especially because I think its a damaging word to use on yourself and I don't believe I'm actually fat. But the overall meaning behind it I feel is true - "fat" meaning that my coffee with the added sweeteners I choose to drink is creating unhealthy habits for me throughout my day. And god forbid I step into Starbucks - my habit only gets encouraged with the larger drink sizes and yummy treats they have to offer. I'm certainly not blaming a product for making me eat poorly, but seeing how I strongly believe that breakfast is your most important meal of the day, my coffee habit doesn't seem to be doing meany favors. It seems to aid me in choosing improper foods for my diet. The more coffee I drink, the more sugar I tend to crave, and the worse my daily habits will be that day. Its a vicious cycle.
The reason for my ramble is to explain my new venture. Over the years, I have read a ton of books and articles about detoxing and why its so important to clean out your system. I always felt it was for those people who ate poorly and needed a jump start on their health. What I've come to realize is that any every person can benefit from this one small change. Its warm lemon water with cayenne pepper every morning. Although simple, it sounded a bit strange, but certainly doable. And why couldn't a seemingly similar swap be an easy one? I challenge myself to try!

The combination of lemon and cayenne is an enhanced detoxification effect on your liver and entire system. It aids in boosting energy and metabolism - who couldn't use that, right? Coffee has become my morning routine shall we say, so I'm hoping to use this simple swap to create a new, and healthier, routine for my body. It certainly can't hurt to try.

I will keep you updated on my journey and maybe enable to to break your coffee habit too! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment