Tuesday, April 23, 2013

GOTR: Avocados are Awesome

Happy Tuesday!

Today I have to share my love of avocados - the most versatile fruit in my opinion. It may seem a bit silly to say, but I love avocados for so many reasons. I buy them every week and use any excuse to make them a part of my meals. My kids love them too which makes it easier and the nutritional value they add is certainly beneficial to your overall health.


To pick the perfect avocado you do a touch test. When you lightly squeeze it, the skin should give you a bit of a give. If its overall squishy - its too ripe. If its hard, its not ready to eat. Pick up a few and serve 'em up!

As I've mentioned before, I'll put avocados in just about anything - smoothies, salads, sandwiches  guacamole, or simply plain. They are low in calories and rich in healthy fats and fiber. When added to smoothies it helps gain a smooth consistency without too many added calories. For salads, dice it up and use less dressing. I also replace condiments such as mayo or mustard on sandwiches with smooth avocados and I think its even more delicious! Guacamole is a staple in my kitchen and even my baby asks for it - its pretty funny.

My Homemade Guacamole Recipe:
With guacamole, everything is to taste. So however you like it - onions, tomatoes, lime juice - go for it! For parties I use all of the ingredients below because mainly adults are eating it. For our family dinners I use only the top three ingredients, along with the onions, because that what my kids will eat. Try out different versions for your family and see what they enjoy. I believe there is a guacamole recipe out there for everyone!

Ingredients
2-3 Ripe Avocados
2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
Sea Salt
Fresh squeezed Lime
Diced Onions (optional)
Fresh Salsa (optional)

Directions
Dice avocados and place in large mixing bowl and mash (I use a potato masher). Add next 3 ingredients to taste and then any additional optional ingredients to your liking. I found this video on Real Simple that will help you understand how to easily dice and peel an avocado. Get your kids involved - making guacamole is one of my 5 year olds favorite things to do in the kitchen.

Serve with tortilla chips, pita chips or even carrots and sliced peppers. Its really that easy and is always a crowd pleaser!

For more information on the benefits of avocados, check out: http://www.avocadocentral.com/

Girls on the Run Newsletter Week 8: http://www.girlsontherun.org/
My Personal Blog: Choices: Nutrition.Life.Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment