Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Road to 10K: Two Weeks to Go!

Cheers for warmth and sunshine!!!

With two weeks to go, it was on my training schedule to run 6 miles on Saturday. I've been really lucky because every weekend the weather has gotten better and better - leading me to only want to get outside and challenge myself. Now remember, I don't doubt can run the mileage of a 10K, but its important for me to physically train to get my body, joints, and muscles prepared. Its been a struggle finding alone time due to our family's schedule, but I've done my best to stick to the program. I ran 6 miles on Saturday and it was so gratifying. I've been having so much fun along the way and have been embracing the time to myself, mostly, getting some me time :)


Funny enough, on Sunday, I had a bit of a setback because I twisted my knee. Not running, but playing in the yard with my kids, of course. It was bound to happen. I've rested for about 2 days and plan on getting back out tomorrow for another 4 miles. I hope this weather keeps up because when its sunny and warm there is no place I'd rather be than outdoors. I think I thrive off sunshine - I really do!

Whats been fun during this process is talking to my 5 year old about running - she asks me if I've won the race every time I go out. Its really cute! At this age all they want to do is be like their mom and dad - we can provide them a good role model of someone who enjoys being outdoors, exercising, and allowing ourselves precious alone time. But most importantly, we can show them how we live with overall healthy habits. 5 year olds are very curious little beings and its much better to show them how to be happy and healthy rather than trying to explain it.

Anyway, I'm getting pretty excited for the final run in two weeks. I can see where this race thing might get addicting. I can't wait to sign up for a 10 miler next time...anyone??

No comments:

Post a Comment