Sunday, April 21, 2013

Road to 10K: We Did It!

...and I stress we very hard. I could not have done this without my beautiful sister by my side. Although we live far apart and didn't train together, we signed up to run the actual race with each other - and wouldn't have had it any other way. I highly recommend always having someone to run with...it definitely makes it easier. Luckily her and I run the same pace!

Note: We started in the second wave so the finish time isn't accurate.

The morning was beautiful and we only had a slight bit of anxiety, never have running in a race before (other than smaller charity runs throughout the years). We started off with confidence and said all we would do is stick together and keep on running no matter what! I don't have official race results, but by the looks of it we kept a 8:50 min pace and finished around 50 min. We were extremely proud of ourselves. Its not easy finding time to do things for yourself, but this race was important to me. I couldn't have been happier I did it!

With the tragedy in Boston this past week, I couldn't help but be emotional towards the end of the race. Knowing my family was waiting for us at the finish line, I kept thinking of those Boston Marathon runners who were approaching their own finish line coming up on that awful catastrophe  Not even being able to comprehend what could have possibly be going through their minds at the time, I got a tear in my eye. God bless all of those emergency personal who were right there to help, along with the heroic civilians who put their own lives at risk to help others.

Completing this race was important - as a mom, wife, sister, daughter, and even woman. Its necessary to make yourself a priority every once in a while. And not to loose yourself in your family, work, and day to day life. I don't think of it as being selfish, I consider it making me a better person. I'm happier when I get to take time for myself - feeling almost "normal" again and not so consumed by the world of homemaking and motherhood.

I look forward to signing up for another run - hopefully soon! Thank you for all of the kind words of encouragement throughout this process. Its been so amazing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment