Monday, April 8, 2013

Marinades, Spices, & Rubs

Happy Monday!

What a beautiful weekend we had!! I recently was asked about my favorite marinades - the truth is I really only use one! Thats right, one. It actually was a childhood favorite of my husband and his family. Its called Spiedies Original Marinade and that's all. We order it in bulk online because we use it so much. I don't like to bake meat in the oven so I either grill it or use a grill pan on the stove in the winter months. The key to marinade is to note the serving size - for example, a bottle of Spiedes Marinade can be used for 5 lbs of chicken. I don't ever make 5lbs of chicken at a time so make sure not to waste and only use  half. I will, however, easily marinate up to 2-3 lbs of chicken in which I will grill and then serve throughout the week with a veggie and rice, slice up on put on a salad, roll up in a tortilla and some avocado - it has such a mild, yet distinct, flavor that it goes with everything. My family loves it!


I've always said, you have to note your family's likes and dislikes when it comes to food. Over the years of trial and error I've noticed my kids don't like alot of dipping sauces, marinades, and casserole type dishes. They tend to eat simple and clean (yeah!) which makes it easy for me. I do, however, use spices on a daily basis. Its such an easy and inexpensive way to jazz up a meal - whether it be meat, chicken, or fish.

My Top 10 "go-to" spice combinations (also known as "rubs") include:
  1. Sea Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper - chicken or fish
  2. Rosemary & Thyme with Olive Oil - chicken or fish
  3. Sea Salt & McCormick Lemon Pepper Seasoning - chicken or fish
  4. McCormick Garlic Salt with Parsley & Worcestershire Sauce - mix with ground beef for burgers
  5. Oregano & McCormick Lemon Pepper Seasoning - chicken wings or whole chicken
  6. Old El Paso Low Sodium Taco Seasoning/Trade Joes Taco Seasoning - chicken, beef, or beans
  7. Goya Adobo All Purpose Seasoning - chicken or beef
  8. Old Bay Seasoning with Olive Oil - chicken wings, chicken tenders, or white fish
  9. McCormick Red Pepper Flakes - I would put on everything if I could. Mainly spaghetti & pizza though :)
  10. Morton's Season All & Worcestershire Sauce - mix with ground beef for burgers
And there you have it! You don't need 10 different marinades or even 10 different spices - keep it simple, enjoy what your family loves and it'll become your family's new "go-to". And remember, a little goes a long way. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment