Tuesday, April 16, 2013

GOTR: My Favorite Breakfast Oatmeal

Good Morning!

If you like oatmeal, you're going to love this recipe! Ever since college, I used to buy the small, pre-packaged oatmeal in which you add water to in the microwave. Two minutes and you're done. Seems quick and easy, but they were just always too sweet for me and were never on the top of my go-to list of breakfast options so I stopped eating them. Then, once I discovered Almond Milk a few years back I ended up trying it with everything - cereal, smoothies, and then eventually oatmeal. Even though the almond milk is unsweetened, the almond flavor has a natural sweetness to it that won't hurt your waistline or cholesterol level. Also never loving hot oatmeal - I would always wait until it was room temperature to eat it. Anyway...

Here is my easy, delicious, and cool oatmeal treat you can take on-the-go. I make it the night before and typically eat for breakfast (sharing it with my 14 month old son) or grab it for a mid-morning snack. Its the perfect combination of protein, fiber, and vitamins to start my day and keep me full. I recommend you try it! Did I mention it only has 3 ingredients and yet, endless options?! Perfection!



I use and love these little pint mason jars by Ball. They are the perfectly sized for portioning oatmeal, sauces, salad in-a-jar, fruit salad, etc. You could also use any cup that has a lid on it, that's fine too. The advantage of the jar is it keeps the oats air tight as well as the easy access to take it with you in the morning - to school, work, appointments, sports activities, etc.

Overnight Breakfast Oatmeal
Ingredients:
1/2 cup Rolled Oats
2/3 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
1-2 Tbsp Raisins
Dash of Cinnamon (optional)

Some of My Favorite Additions:
Dried Cranberries
Blueberries
Raspberries
Sliced Banana
Diced Apples
Slivered Almonds
Chopped Walnuts

Directions: The night before put oats and almond milk into jar/cup. No need to even stir. Let sit overnight in fridge (or at least a couple of hours). Once you're ready to eat, add a dash of cinnamon and your raisins and done. Or test and try any of the above additions to make you're perfect combination. And there you have it - You have breakfast on the go!

Girls on the Run Newsletter Week 7: http://www.girlsontherun.org/
My Personal Blog: Choices: Nutrition.Life.Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment